• 8 oz. frozen chopped spinach or 1 lb.
sliced spinach leaves
• 1 lb. ricotta cheese
• 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
• 1 cup shredded cheese, any kind
• 1 egg
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 1/8 tsp. nutmeg powder
• 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
• Cannelloni tubes, around 20
• Large jar of tomato or spaghetti sauce
• 1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella
• Basil for garnish
Place thawed spinach in a colander and press out most of the liquid or lightly sauté fresh leaves in oil to wilt a bit. Remove excess liquid and cool. Add spinach to a large bowl with all other ingredients through salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 350°.
Choose a baking pan for about 20 cannelloni, 8.5” x 10.5″ at least. Spread a little tomato sauce in the bottom. Add filled cannelloni. [Hint: Place spinach-cheese mix into a large zipper bag, cut the corner and pipe into the cannelloni tubes.] Pour generous amount of sauce over everything covering all tubes.
Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes in 350° oven. Remove foil. Scatter the Mozzarella cheese and bake 10 minutes more until cheese is melted. Garnish with basil and serve.